Student credit cards can help students build their credit history. Some cards let students earn reward points that can be used at places where students shop. Some student cards from our partners also offer 0% introductory interest rates, rewards and cash back.
Credit Cards for Students
- Earn 2,500 bonus ThankYou® Points after spending $500 within the first 3 months of cardmembership.
- 2 ThankYou® Points per dollar spent on purchases for dining at restaurants and entertainment.
- 1 ThankYou® Point on other purchases.
- Points earned with this card do not expire and there is no limit to the amount of points you can earn.
- Redeem ThankYou Points for merchandise, travel rewards, gift cards, cash and more
- Travel with ease and enjoy global acceptance with Chip Technology
- No annual fee*
Purchases Intro APR 0%* Purchases Intro APR Period 7 months on Purchases* Balance Transfers Intro APR N/A Balance Transfers Intro APR Period N/A Regular APR 14.49% - 24.49%* (Variable) Annual Fee $0*
No Credit Check
- No credit check necessary to apply. OpenSky believes in giving an opportunity to everyone.
- The refundable* deposit you provide becomes your credit line limit on your Visa card. Choose it yourself, from as low as $200.
- Build credit quickly. OpenSky reports to all 3 major credit bureaus.
- 99% of our customers who started without a credit score earned a credit score record with the credit bureaus in as little as 6 months.
- We have a Facebook community of people just like you; there is a forum for shared experiences, and insights from others on our Facebook Fan page. (Search "OpenSky Card" in Facebook.)
- OpenSky provides credit tips and a dedicated credit education page on our website to support you along the way.
- *View our Cardholder Agreement located at the bottom of the application page for details of the card.
Purchases Intro APR N/A Purchases Intro APR Period N/A Balance Transfers Intro APR N/A Balance Transfers Intro APR Period N/A Regular APR 17.64% (Variable) Annual Fee $35
Credit cards for students offer numerous advantages in addition to providing easy access to cash and credit. They enable you to earn cash back or rewards on your expenditures. They also allow you to start building a good credit history, which will be a real plus later in life when you are looking to take out loans to buy a car or house.
The cash back or reward earnings on college student credit cards vary from 1% to as high as 5% for different types of purchases. To compare credit cards, read through the terms and conditions to determine which card will give you the highest rewards on your most frequent expenditures. Some student credit cards even reward you points for maintaining a good GPA and paying on time.
Points can be redeemed for a variety of rewards, including cash back, plane tickets, concert tickets, gift cards, and in some cases exclusive mtvU Rewards, like VIP passes to Spring Break, Studio Tours, and more. Again, to compare credit card offers, look for the card that offers the rewards that you find most exciting.
Most credit cards for students come with a 0% introductory interest rate for six months. Depending on the card, this rate may apply only to purchases, but in some cases it also applies to balance transfers and cash advances. In short, if you will be using your card for cash advances or balance transfers in addition to purchases, look for a card that offers a 0% introductory rate on these services.
College credit cards offer great advantages if you pay the balance in full every month. It is best, however, to avoid using your card as a supplemental student loan. Once the introductory rate expires, student credit cards charge a fairly high APR, from 12.99% and up.